News Update from May 2012 | Antares
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-347855,single-format-standard,eltd-cpt-2.2,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,moose-ver-3.3,vertical_menu_enabled, vertical_menu_left, vertical_menu_width_290, vertical_menu_transparency vertical_menu_transparency_on, vertical_menu_with_floating,smooth_scroll,side_menu_slide_with_content,width_370,blog_installed,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.5,vc_responsive

News Update from May 2012

This course started of with 6 students but one of them dropped out after a month on the course for personal reasons.

The other 5 students went on to successfully complete the course and they all passed their FGASA level 1 qualification, theory and practical.
Once again we enjoyed a variety of great sightings from the predators through to the largets land mammal of all. Some of the animals were seen on the motion camera and we missed them in the flesh, animals such as aardvark, leopard and a few others came down to drink unknown to any of us.

The most notable one could possibly have been the lioness who came down to drink at 15h30 on the day when the students were busy writing their FGASA exam. I only checked the motion camera a few days later so we were none the wiser until too late.

We had other lions sightings too, including a view of the young male who had joined us on the previous course at the sleep out. However that was the only time we saw him and we wonder what has become of him recently. It is likely that he has moved further off now that he is getting to that age where the dominant male will no longer tolerate him in the area.

The sleep out once more proved to be a popular aspect of the course and was much enjoyed by all even if it was not as eventful as the previous course.

The students seemed to sleep well.
Bernard decided it was warmer by the fire!

We had a memorable sighting of a 4m python which we eventually manged to catch and allow the students to examine at close quarters. My son got a real scare as he was unawre of what we were trying to unearth and as he approached me the python struck out from inside the bush and needless to say Cary went cartwheeling backwards very quickly. Thankfully I managed to avoid being bitten by this one, unlike on the previous course. This python was probably close to double the size of the previous one.

Myself and Duane Rabie, photo courtesy of Jason van der Merwe

One other memorable occurence was following a herd of over 130 buffalo on foot and then deciding that a better option would be to view them from the safety of a large Leadwood tree. Needless to say the inevitable happened and the buffalo gathered under the tree and we were left stranded up there for over an hour. It was a great experience even if a little uncomfortable for some.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.